Judge Diana McGinnis
Precinct 2 Justice of the Peace
2840 HIGHWAY 35 N
ROCKPORT, TX 78382-5711
Phone: (361) 790-0131
Fax: (361) 790-5392
COVID-19 PANDEMIC PAYMENT PROCEDURES UPDATE
Making payments to the Justice of the Peace Pct#2 Court can be conducted by following the instructions found here. This court utilizes Official Payments to process payments via credit cards. JP2 Payment Instructions.
IMPORTANT NOTICE MUST READ:
AVISO IMPORTANTE PORFAVOR DE LEER:
Due to health and safety concerns regarding coronavirus (COVID-19), Justice of the Peace PCT. 2 will be operating with limited operations until further notice.
Debido a preocupaciones de salud y seguridad del coronavirus (COVID-19), El Juez de las Paz Pct. 2 estara operando con operaciones limitadas hasta Nuevo aviso.
- All non-essential court proceedings will be rescheduled until after May 8
- Todos los procediminetos judiciales no esenciales seran reprogramados despues de Mayo 8.
- All evictions (commercial and residential) are rescheduled until May 8
- Todos los desalojos (comerciales y residenciales)estan reprogramados despues de Mayo 8.
- No writs of possession shall be issued until May 13
- Escrituras de posesion se emitira hasta Mayo 13.
- Class C ticket appearances are rescheduled.
- Las multas Clase C apariciones se han reprogromado.
- No warrants for failing to appear to court for traffic tickets will be issued.
- No se emitiran oredenes de arresto por no comparecer ante el tribunal por multas de transito.
The justice of the peace is the legal jurisdiction closest to the average citizen.
Section 19 of Article 5 of the Texas Constitution provides that: justice of the peace courts have original jurisdiction in criminal matters of misdemeanor cases punishable by fine only and such other jurisdiction as may be provided by law. Original jurisdiction is the authority to accept a case at its inception, try it and pass judgment based upon the laws and facts. This is distinguished from appellate jurisdiction which is jurisdiction to review a court's action. The justice of the peace performs the functions of a magistrate and conducts inquests.
A justice of the peace may issue warrants for search and arrest, conduct preliminary hearings, administers oaths, perform marriages and serve as a coroner in counties where there is no provision for a medical examiner. The justice court also functions as a small claims court in civil matters in which exclusive jurisdiction is not in district or county court and the amount in controversy does not exceed $10,000. They can also deal with matters concerning foreclosure of mortgages and enforcement of liens on personal property.
JP2 - Jury Duty Information
No jury duty information is available.
Click Here For The Jury Duty Information Page