Aransas County JP1
2840 HIGHWAY 35 N
ROCKPORT, TX 78382-5711
Phone: (361) 790-0130
Fax: (361) 790-5402
Electronic Hearings By Zoom
Viewable on YouTube, Watch Here
IMPORTANT NOTICE MUST READ:
AVISO IMPORTANTE PORFAVOR DE LEER:
Due to health and safety concerns regarding coronavirus (COVID-19), Justice of the Peace PCT. 1 will be operating with limited operations until further notice.
Debido a preocupaciones de salud y seguridad del coronavirus (COVID-19), El Juez de las Paz Pct. 1 estara operando con operaciones limitadas hasta Nuevo aviso.
- All non-essential court proceedings will be rescheduled until after May 8. THIS HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO JUNE 1, 2020.
- Todos los procediminetos judiciales no esenciales seran reprogramados despues de Mayo 8. ESTOS PROCEDIMINETOS HAN SIDO EXTENDIDOS HASTA JUNIO 1, 2020
- All evictions (commercial and residential) are rescheduled until May 8. THIS HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO MAY 18, 2020.
- Todos los desalojos (comerciales y residenciales)estan reprogramados despues de Mayo 8. ESTOS PROCEDIMINETOS HAN SIDO EXTENDIDOS HASTA MAYO 18, 2020.
- No writs of possession shall be issued until May 13. THIS HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO MAY 25, 2020.
- Escrituras de posesion se emitira hasta Mayo 13. ESTOS PROCEDIMINETOS HAN SIDO EXTENDIDOS HASTA MAYO 25, 2020.
- Class C ticket appearances are rescheduled.
- Las multas Clase C apariciones se han reprogromado.
- No warrants for failing to appear to court for traffic tickets will be issued.
- No se emitiran oredenes de arresto por no comparecer ante el tribunal por multas de transito.
The justice of the peace is the legal jurisdiction closest to the average citizen.
Section 19 of Article 5 of the Texas Constitution provides that: justice of the peace courts have original jurisdiction in criminal matters of misdemeanor cases punishable by fine only and such other jurisdiction as may be provided by law. Original jurisdiction is the authority to accept a case at its inception, try it and pass judgment based upon the laws and facts. This is distinguished from appellate jurisdiction which is jurisdiction to review a court's action. The justice of the peace performs the functions of a magistrate and conducts inquests.
A justice of the peace may issue warrants for search and arrest, conduct preliminary hearings, administers oaths, perform marriages and serve as a coroner in counties where there is no provision for a medical examiner. The justice court also functions as a small claims court in civil matters in which exclusive jurisdiction is not in district or county court and the amount in controversy does not exceed $10,000. They can also deal with matters concerning foreclosure of mortgages and enforcement of liens on personal property.
THIS COURT OFFERS YOU A "SAFE HARBOR" TO TURN YOURSELF IN ON CLASS C WARRANTS ISSUED BY THIS COURT:
Before the passage of Senate Bill 1913, in order to promote justice, ensure due process and the equal treatment of all persons, some of whom may be indigent or facing financial hardships, and to help clear outstanding arrest warrants and capiases, this court instituted a policy that it will not arrest or jail any person who voluntarily surrenders themselves to this court on warrants issued by our court, if you make a good-faith effort to resolve the case before you are arrested and the warrant is executed. In other words, if you have active Class C misdemeanor warrants issued by this court and you voluntarily come in to court YOU WILL NOT BE ARRESTED, THE WARRANT(S) WILL BE RECALLED, AND YOU WILL BE GIVEN A COURT DATE TO SPEAK TO THE JUDGE ABOUT YOUR CASE, WITHOUT FEAR OF BEING ARRESTED.
JP1 - Jury Duty Information
No jury duty information is available.
Click Here For The Jury Duty Information Page